Monday 14 November 2011

Hay Cookies

So I did a little spot of bunny baking today. I tried out hay cookies for the first time, and they turned out well- the bunnies love them! I also made a few mini carrot bites for the buns and the hamster, but I don't have time to do that recipe at the moment so that will be coming up later!

(Hay cookies are the slightly larger ones)

I only made a few (there were a couple more but the bunnies sampled them before the picture!) as I only have two buns, but if you have more then it's easy to double (or triple!) the recipe. These measurements are just estimates, next time I will actually measure things out but today I just did my usual method of chucking things in until I get the right consistency!

1/2 a carrot
A large handful of hay
Approximately three tablespoonfuls of pellets  (I use rabbit excel but you can change this dependig on preference or species!)
A handful of porridge oats (not microwaveable ones- just plain oats!)


1. Firstly, place the pellets in a bowl/plate with plain water just covering them all, then leave them to the side while you prepare everything else
2. Chop up the hay, into strands of no longer than an inch, and put in your main bowl (not the one with soaking pellets in)
3. Finely grate the carrot, and add to bowl
4. Add oats to mixture, begin to mix (I find it easier using hands but if you're worried about dirt then a spoon will do!)
5. Drain the soaked pellets, gently 'mush' them with a fork or utensil and then add to mixture
6. Mix all together with hands- if too wet then add more oats, if too dry then add more carrot!
7. Roll them into small balls, and place them on a baking tray covered in foil or greaseproof paper, before gently pressing them down to create a cookie shape
8. Place in oven at 180c for approximately 30 mins, when time is up gently press them- if they stillfeel moist then continue baking them for 5 minutes. Then when they feel dry, turn off oven and leave them there until it has completely cooled- this ensures they are completely dry and means they last longer!

9. Finally- after coming out the cold oven: let your bunnies or guinea pigs enjoy (and watch them beg for more!)


(excuse the tip of a playhouse- although neutered my two seem to have forgotten what a litter tray is!)


As mentioned before this recipe is also suitable for guinea pigs. It is not suitable for hamsters or rats due to the hay. I imagine this won't be any good for other species I did consider degus but then the carrots sugar content is probably way too high, so please don't make these for degus before consulting an expert! For a very special treat you can even try soaking the pellets in diluted apple juice (not pure though as the sugar contentis far too high!) The grated carrot could also be substituted for grated parsnip, or apple- although I find carrot easiest!

Hope you enjoy maing these and your animals like eating them!

Carrot bite recipe coming ASAP- for all you other species owners this one's suitable for hamsters, rats and several others!

Love Holly, Mischief, Trouble and Gremlin xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment